Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas Book Advent Calendar


I have seen the Christmas Book Advent Calendar idea all over the blogsphere. In case you haven't seen the idea here is how it works:
  • You gather 24 Christmas-themed children's books (if you don't own 24 Christmas-themed books you can trade with friends & family or check them out from the library)
  • Wrap each book separately
  • You number them from 1 to 24 and stick them under your Christmas tree
  • Starting December 1st your children open a book each night to be read for their bedtime story
I really like this idea since we try to read as many Christmas books as we can in December and this will make sure we get a lot in. The only thing I didn't like about this idea was having to spend the time wrapping 24 books (don't I wrap enough in the month of December?) and wasting all that wrapping paper. So I decided to make my own drawstring bag that the Christmas book elves can put a new book in every day. This way it saves me time and I can use it every year, win-win! If you have children who aren't into reading much this would be a great idea to get them excited about it!



Here is a list of some books we will be reading this year:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
Yes Virginia There is a Santa Claus by Chris Plehal
The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore and Cheryl Harness
Olivia Helps with Christmas by Ian Falconer
Fancy Nancy's Splendiferous Christmas by Jane O'Connor
The Polar Express
Mooseltoe by Margie Palatini
Little Porcupine's Christmas by Joseph Slate
Christmas Night Fair and Bright by Julie Stiegemeyer
Cookies for Santa by Cecelia Slater
The Spirit of Christmas by Nancy Tillman
The Berenstain Bears meet Santa Bear by Stan & Jan Berenstain

This list is only half of what I need so I will be hunting for some more good titles. Does anybody have any favorite books they want to share? 

No comments:

Post a Comment