Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine's Decor on a Budget

I have never decorated for Valentine's day but this year I saw some cute crafts that I could do that were quick, easy, and inexpensive.  So I thought I would give it a shot.  These are so simple your kids can help. 


1/2 yard of felt, 1.99 on sale at Joanne's
cereal box (free)
scrap of red tissue paper to cover front of the heart, leftover from Christmas
white ribbon to hang, on hand

The total project only took me about 2 hours to make.  I doubled the felt so I could cut out 2 circles at a time.  I cut 2 circles into spirals at a time, too.  I needed about 60 circles to make mine. I used a scrap of silver wrapping to cover the back of the heart.  Also, I want to get a few pearls to add to my heart now that it is finished.


3 small pots, $1.00 at Dollar Tree
2 - 3" Styrofoam balls, $1.00 Dollar Tree
1 - 2" Styrofoam ball, 6 pack for $1.00 at Dollar Tree
dowels, a set from WalMart for .96
ribbon, $1.00 Joanne's
2 bags of Conversation Hearts, $1.00 each at Dollar Tree

I used hot glue to glue the hearts on the Styrofoam balls but if you want to keep this kid friendly and edible you can stick the hearts on with vanilla icing. 
I did not paint the Styrofoam ball like she did on Simply Crafty.  I like a little of the white showing through.  This project took less then an hour. 



1 red and 1 white streamer, $1.00 each from Dollar Tree
2 - 3" balls, $1.00 from the Dollar Tree
2 - 2" balls, $1.00 for a 6 pack from the Dollar Tree
white tray, $7.50 Joannes, with 50% off coupon
white flowers, $1.00 at Dollar Tree
red and pink berries,  $1.00 at Target in the Dollar Spot

This was the toughest of the three but once you get the hang of wrapping and twisting it goes fast.  I cut all my strips first and then started making the rosettes.  I found that I could make the rosettes a little easier if the streamers were stiffer so I did not crinkle them up. Mine don't look as good as the ones on The Idea Room but I am happy with how they turned out.  Three kissing balls (want to make one more) took me about 1 1/2 hours. 

Here are my semi - completed projects:
                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment