Thursday, March 24, 2011

Edible Finger Paint

I take care of an adorable 15 month old little boy while his mom works.  I thought he would have fun fingerpainting but I knew it would go from hands to mouth so I wanted something edible.  I knew I could use pudding but I wanted something his mom could save. This is what I came up with:

Ingredients:
1 cup of flour
1 cup of hot water
1 1/2 cups cold water
2 Tbsp salt
food coloring

Directions:
Mix the flour, salt and cold water in a saucepan and stir well. Smooth out any lumps. Add a cup of hot water to the mixture and stir well. Put the saucepan on the stove and let it boil on medium high heat. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Monitor the mixture as it boils to ensure it doesn't burn or turn into clumps. Turn off the heat as soon as the mixture thickens.  Place the mixture in a bowl.   Use a mixer or whisk and beat the mixture until very smooth.

Divide the mixture into several small disposable cups or bowls.  Add different food coloring into each mixture according to the desired colors.  Let cool.  Place on freezer paper or fingerpainting paperand let the fun begin.



A few tips I learned: 
After whisking for about 5 minutes the mixture still had clumps so a ran it through a strainer to remove them.
If I was making this recipe for just a couple of kiddos I would cut the recipe in half or maybe in fourths.  It made a lot of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment